Job Title: CDL Truck Driver - Class A
Reports to: Route Coordinator
Job Classification: Non-Exempt - Full Time
The Truck Driver will be responsible for transporting materials to and from specified destinations in a safe, timely, and courteous manner. The successful candidate will also perform some warehouse based duties as required.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Comply with all company policies and safety rules, as well as federal, state, and local regulations which govern the industry.
- Maintain logs of working hours, maintenance, mileage, and inspections by using electronic devices provided by the company while following applicable state and federal regulations.
- Check all load-related documentation to ensure that it is complete and accurate.
- Safe operation of equipment and on-time movement of shipments between company locations and customers, meeting established run times and schedules.
- Prepares receipts for all loads which are picked up. Obtain receipts or signatures for delivered goods and collect payment for services when required.
- Operate a tractor-trailer combination and other commercial vehicles as required in urban, suburban, and rural environments and in all types of weather conditions between facilities and various customers.
- Drive truck to transport materials to and from specified destinations, applying knowledge of commercial driving regulations and roads in the area.
- Maintain telephone or radio contact with supervisor to receive delivery instructions.
- Maneuver trucks into loading or unloading positions, following signals from loading crew and checking that vehicle and loading equipment are properly positioned.
- Properly and safely load and unload freight in varying weather conditions at the company and customer facilities, using the same procedures and techniques as a dockworker.
- Safely operate a forklift to load and unload freight.
- Drop and hook trailer(s) and change the configuration of equipment as necessary. Connect air hoses and electrical lines, install and remove tire chains, and manually crank dolly wheels.
- Conduct pre-trip and post-trip inspections. Check vehicles to ensure that mechanical, safety, and emergency equipment is in good working order.
- May perform emergency roadside repairs, install light bulbs, fuses and tire chains. Must report all vehicle defects, accidents, traffic violations, or damage to the vehicles to Management.
- Maintain vehicles and work area in a clean and orderly condition.
- Position blocks and fasten chains or binders to secure load on trailer during transit.
- Assist in the warehouse as needed during downtime.
- Performs additional duties as assigned by Management.
Required Education and Experience
- High School Diploma/GED required.
- Class A Commercial Driver License (CDL) with the ability to operate a commercial motor vehicle in adverse road, weather, and traffic conditions required.
- Must have a current medical card.
- Minimum of 2 years tractor-trailer driving experience with good driving record.
- Meet Department of Transportation (DOT) physical requirement and pass certified drug/alcohol test.
- Ability to operate forklift, dolly, hand truck, pallet truck, carts, and other equipment necessary for unloading freight.
- Ability to couple and uncouple combination vehicles, hook and unhook dollies and operate a release lever.
- Customer service experience and ability to work in a team environment.
- Ability to read, write and speak English.
- Ability to follow posted safety rules and safe operating procedures to ensure proper techniques, such as lifting, are performed in the manner as which is described.
- Previous work experience or knowledge of maintenance and ability to work in a non-climate environment.
- Ability to use hand signals to communicate with other workers, identify the correct location to see and be seen as the signaler, recognize universal signs and symbols such as colors, flags, and stakes to function safely in the workplace.
- Ability to obtain security clearance.
The physical demands described below are representative of those which must be met to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Capable of talking/hearing.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
- Ability to lift up to fifty (50) pounds as needed.
- This position is very active and requires standing, walking, bending, kneeling, stooping, crouching, crawling, and climbing frequently.
The majority of the work will be performed outside weather conditions including extreme heat and cold. Occasionally some work will be performed in a non-climate controlled warehouse environment which may be excessively warm in the summer months and cool in the winter months. The noise level is low to moderate. Uniform provided by the company is required to be used by the driver.
Asset LifeCycle LLC will conduct pre-employment background investigations and drug testing as a condition of employment.
Equal Opportunity Employer